The last of the peppers seedlings (if you can call them that), have been potted up into one gallon pots and put out to start the hardening off process. I have a small half wall in my front yard that is shaded most of the day. This is a great spot to start the process. After they have been there for a couple of days I put them in a mostly sunny spot in the backyard. This completes the process and they can go wherever I need them. It’s fairly hassle free.
I transplanted the final 16 tonight. That doesn’t sound like a lot until you are mixing up batches of potting soil and moving plants one at a time. Of course no transplanting is complete until the label is made and in the pot. I’ve been bad about this in the past and have ended up frustrated. As I move the plants into the ground the label goes next to them and I have been updating the spreadsheet that contains my garden layout. Redundant documentation. Sounds better. Here’s one.
Yah, that’s a one gallon pot so… obviously I waited a little past what would normally be considered an “appropriate” time. Like I said before, so far… it hasn’t been an issue.
I also transplanted one of the cherry tomato plants to a five gallon pot with a small cage. I haven’t tried this before, but I am just not going to have room in the garden for everything. Besides, I can stash the spots under the trees where they will get partial sun, which they seem to be fond of in AZ. Man, that was a lot of potting soil though!
Lot’s to do. I hope to get bed 4 converted over to the Spring garden this weekend. It will be a cookie cutter of bed three, except with different varieties of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and melons.
Good times and you really can’t beat the weather right now. At this rate though I probably will not have my corn planted until May. That gives me more than a month to get everything else planted and the corn bed properly prepared. I will not suffer the defeat of last year. There will be CORN!