For the seed block recipe that is.
Typically seed block recipes utilize peat and vermiculite, two things I don’t normally use and I can’t say I’m that fond of incorporating into my garden experiment at this point. I would rather use coconut coir from the perspective of pH, cost, and sustainability. Unfortunately they are not a one to one substitute when it comes to seed blocks. Mainly because peat is more… sticky. But I’m still hopeful it can be done.
I started experimenting last night. Equal parts coir and compost, with some greensand as a mineral additive.
They didn’t look too bad (sorry I know it’s pretty dark in the picture). However, there seems to be a fundamental flaw with multiple possible causes.
I should have sifted the compost to make it finer and eliminate the big pieces. I had hypothesized that these would help as a replacement for the vermiculite… I know a bit of a stretch… but they just make it too crumbly. That’s when wet, I don’t think that will get better as it dries. The big chunks also keep it from getting a good form. The blocks should be pretty much a solid square and this is more of a marshmallow cube; kind of rounded on the corners.
I went ahead and put some seeds in a few of these to see how they handle a plant growing in them, but I think most will be scrapped.
I think for the next swing I’ll try sifting the compost. I don’t like to throw too many variables in at once, so I’ll avoid making any other changes, but in the meantime, we’ll see how these go.