I was nervous. We had a planned trip to California to attend a graduation party for one of my beautiful nieces. I knew it would be a great time, but… I was a little concerned about the garden.
So I decided the best course of action was redundancy where possible. I transferred the basil, chamomile, and several of the pepper plants to pots and bigger containers. Then I transplanted the malibar spinach into the ground and started watering. I spent a LONG time Saturday morning before we left, watering the raised beds, the main garden, and every pot and container I had. Lots and lots of water. Then of course I filled up the real ollas and then brought in the reserves by filling up a bunch of wine bottles and doing my wine bottle olla trick. I even shoved beer bottles into some of the smaller containers.
Come on, I mean, I was getting a little desperate here! I gotta save my plants!
I’m happy to say that it worked out well. Other than one problem that you can see in the last picture.
These are really impressive because you can see that the water has not gone down much. That means that the WHOLE bed is being well covered by the main ollas. That’s good news, especially for these little Old Time Tennessee Melon sprouts.
And here is the problem. It’s not what’s here… it’s what’s missing. There should be two. I’m thinking my pesky gopher is not gone, he just retreated into the common area behind my house. GRRRRR!